The Employment Tribunal and EAT statistics 2008/09 have been published today.
- 20% decrease in the number of claims accepted - but if multiple airline (cabin crew) claims are excluded, there is in fact a 4% decrease
- unfair dismissal, redundancy pay and breach of contract claims rose in number. Working time claims, equal pay and sex discrimination fell.
- maximum award (in a race case) - £1,353,432
- 21 age discrimination claims disposed of (average award £8k)
- costs awarded in 367 (0.2%) cases (average costs award £2,470)
- for the first time, the EAT rejected over 50% of all appeals at the sift stage